The Steward position is responsible for maintaining cleanliness and sanitation standards for china, glassware, tableware, cooking utensils, etc., using machine and manual cleaning methods. This position also ensures the dishwashing area is maintained as a clean, safe and sanitary facility. Promptly reports emergencies, accidents, injuries, missing articles, damage, engineering items and safety hazards to management. Reports any deviations from policies, procedures, brand standards and regulations to management.
- Sort and rinse dirty dishes, glass, tableware and other cooking utensils and place them in racks to send through dish machine.
- Sort and stack clean dishes. Carries clean dishes to cook’s line and other proper storage areas. Rewashes soiled dishes before delivering.
- Remove trash and garbage to the dumpster.
- Set up or break down the dishwashing area.
- Clean and roll/unroll mats.
- Fill/empty soak tubs with cleaning/sanitizing solutions.
- Sweep/mop floors
- General restaurant and restroom cleaning as directed.
- Observe adherence to all safety protocols including correct use of clean supplies.
- Any other tasks/duties as requested by management.
The Company may consider an equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience providing the knowledge, skills and abilities cited below.
Education and Experience
- High school education or equivalent experience
- One or more years of related experience
- Familiarity with hospitality industry practices preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of kitchen sanitation and proper use of equipment and supplies.
- Ability to compile facts/figures in a timely manner; identify, investigate, and resolve matters.
- Attention to detail, good organizational skills and efficient time management.
- Ability to follow an appropriate course of action based on policies and procedures.
- Display effective listening and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while simultaneously handling competing and changing priorities.
- Ability to satisfy the legal requirements for employment within the jurisdiction.
Working Conditions & Physical Effort
Physical work is a primary part of job. Work is normally performed in an interior hotel environment with equipment and machines. The work involves exposure to extreme temperatures, chemicals, dirt, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises. The exposure to hazards or physical risks requires following basic safety precautions and use of applicable protective equipment. Physical requirements include extended standing and walking, climbing, bending, reaching, pulling, pushing, kneeling and lifting up to 30 pounds frequently; 150 pounds up to two times per shift, with assistance. While performing job duties, the associate is required to speak, listen and write. The job requires close vision with or without corrective lenses. This position may be required to operate a motor vehicle.
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. This employer participates in E-Verify.
This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, If necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.