The Company operates 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, so operational demands require variations in shift days, starting and ending times, and hours worked in a week.
The Sales Manager is responsible for representing the company to customers, the public, government, other external sources; and responsible for the development and performance of all sales activities in assigned market. Listen to customer needs, analyze this information and create tailored proposals. Negotiate and close sales while meeting/exceeding sales targets. Impress customers with tailored proposals, quality and timely service in a pleasant and friendly manner. Work with management throughout the hotel and the Company.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Representative of the Company: As the representative of the Company and hotel, professionally approach and communicate with current and prospective customers. Knowledgeable on market, positioning of hotel, amenities and brand. Understand booking patterns, trends, high demand times, and events in the market. Convey a strong belief in the hotel and confidently discuss hotel features, services and advantages.
- Research, Identification & Sales Development: Research and understand demand generators, new business sources, the internet as a prospecting tool, community involvement and networking. Research competing hotels and identify sales strategies. Understand and use industry reports like Star Reports, etc. Develop effective sales strategies to counter the competition. Develop valuable business relationships that result in additional sales and new customers. Research each customer’s business, hospitality needs, identify who to talk to and how to get sales closed. Monitor customer preferences to determine focus of sales efforts. Research and identify new business opportunities for the hotel including reaching out to event planners and staying abreast of local events. Represent the Company at trade association meetings to promote hotel.
- Proactive and Creative Sales: Exercise creativity, discretion and independent judgment in determining how to assemble an event to suit each customer's taste. Give full attention to what customers are saying, taking time to understand the points being made and asking questions as appropriate. Conduct site visits and prepare original, creative proposals tailored to address the needs of and to impress the customer. Develop solutions to any cost concerns and resolve any challenges or problems. Aggressively pursue all appropriate opportunities for customer solicitation and relationship building. Aggressively engage in creative networking, uncovering and cold calling prospective clients to generate activity for future business.
- Negotiate and Close Sales: Influence and convince customers to select the hotel for their hospitality needs. Negotiate terms and reconcile differences. Develop contingency plans and act promptly and effectively when closing problems arise. Recognize customers for loyalty and/or accept feedback. Identify and secure business to fit the yield strategy. Sell to fill need dates. Sell and upsell hotel services to meet/exceed sales and financial objectives. Capture all profitable business. Attain/exceed sales goals and profitability. Directly responsible for achieving production numbers established by booking goals and outside sales activities. Communicate sales activities with peers and superiors.
- Account Management: Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with customers and others in the course of their event planning. After securing business, deliver a high level of customer service with key decision makers, solve customer problems, meet commitments, seek customer input and anticipate customer needs. As appropriate, meet the customer at the event, ensure proper event set-up and customer satisfaction. Take initiative to solve any problems by liaison with other hotel managers.
- Administration: Responsible for compilation of required sales reports and reporting process. Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of all sales and transactions. Complete all required and requested reporting in a timely and accurate manner. Provide management with accurate information and comply with corporate policies and procedures as well as government laws and regulations.
- Consistent professional and positive attitude and actions when communicating with guests and associates.
- Ensure maintenance problems are promptly reported through proper channels.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Practice safe work habits and comply with sanitary, safety, security and emergency procedures.
- Write shift reports including reports on any incidents of theft, accidents or injuries when assigned.
- Check with manager/supervisor before leaving work area for any reason.
- On time and at work when scheduled, and in proper uniform.
- Attend department meetings as scheduled.
- Respond to guest requests, concerns and problems to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Report any incidents of guest dissatisfaction or other matters of significance to manager so that corrective measures may be taken.
- Any other tasks/duties as requested by management.
The Company may consider equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience providing the knowledge, skills and abilities cited below.
Education and Experience
- Four-year college degree in hospitality management, marketing, business or related degree or equivalent experience.
- Five or more years of hotel sales related experience.
- Familiarity with hospitality industry practices preferred.
- Ability to travel locally and overnight.
Skills and Abilities
- Possess knowledge of hospitality, business and basic accounting principles and practices. Effective listening, verbal, written, negotiation and closing skills. Ability to assess customer needs, understand market dynamics and prepare presentations/proposals tailored for individual customers. Ability to meet/exceed expectations for prospecting calls, appointments, presentations, proposals and closes. Ability to achieve customer satisfaction.
- Strong professionalism, diplomacy, selling skills and work habits. Ability to remain positive, resourceful and improvise while working in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure. Organizational skills that result in accurate, timely and thorough work. Ability to compile facts and figures, analyze information and arrive at logical conclusions and sound business decisions.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate a computer, calculator, phone and other office equipment. Must satisfy and comply with the legal requirements for employment within the jurisdiction. Attention to details, good organizational skills and efficient time management.
- Ability to follow an appropriate course of action based on policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while simultaneously handling competing and changing priorities.
- Ability to satisfy the legal requirements for employment within the jurisdiction.
Working Conditions & Physical Effort
Work is normally performed in an interior hotel environment. While performing job duties, the associate speaks, listens, completes documents, processes requests and operates office equipment such as a telephone, calculator, computer, copier and fax. Physical requirements include extended periods of standing and/or walking, bending, reaching, pulling, pushing, kneeling, and lifting up to 50 pounds. The job requires close vision with or without corrective lenses. This position may be required to operate a motor vehicle.